Nei til EU (No to the EU)
No to the EU is the Norwegian No Movement; an antiracist and pan political organization which strives for Norwegian sovereignty and independence from the European Union.
No to the EU is a member-based, nationwide organization with 27.000 members (2012), regional offices in each of the 19 Norwegian counties, and a staff of 21 employees.
The organization No to the EU is a non-governmental organization. Simultaneously the organization functions as an arena, a resource centre and as a coordinator for all organizations and political parties opposing Norwegian EU-membership. No to the EU is also an information centre for the public, with organized discussions and debates. No to the EU is a well-known participant on the Norwegian political debate.
Norway has since 1994 been associated with the EU inner market through the agreement on European Economic Area (EEA). No to the EU wants a more limited and bilateral relationship with the EU, and is working to promote alternatives to the current EEA agreement.
The people’s movement
The basis of the Norwegian society is democracy. Norway has come to learn how self-governance is the wise foundation of our decentralized, elongated and scarcely populated country. As a sovereign nation, Norway can cooperate and trade with other nations.
The Norwegian population has twice voted no to membership of The European Union. Referendums where held both in 1972 and in 1994. No to the EU strives to ensure a truly influential democracy, where important decisions are made with an effective democratic control.
No to the EU aims at being a widespread and diverse people’s movement. No to the EU has its own youth organization (Ungdom mot EU) and student organization (Studenter mot EU).
Policy of the Nei til EU:
- No to the EU wants to ensure democracy and Norwegian sovereignty.
- No to the EU wants to ensure a continued Norwegian independence in international politics.
- No to the EU strives for fairness and equality in international trade and cooperationllaboration, and urges Norway to play an active role on the global arena in obtaining and ensuring such qualities.
- No to the EU strives for Norwegian natural resources to be administrated by Norwegian authorities and institutions.
- No to the EU promotes a broad international cooperationllaboration, not restricted by the boarders of Europe.
- No to the EU is engaged in women politics and information tasks promoting gender equality.